Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Some Slack

After weeks of struggling with breastfeeding I'm trying to cut myself some slack about it.

My supply has never been great. I've tried pumping ever three hours, fenugreek, mothers milk tea, nursing more often and seen countless lactation consultants. I've spoken on the phone with doctors, midwives and more lactation consultants... the only other option, a drug called regalin causes me to have seizures, is out.

For about three weeks now I've been pumping every three hours religiously. I've been trying to get her at least 5 ounces a day which usually requires about 5 hours of pumping each day. When I described this to the midwife that I was talking to this morning she said what I was doing was "heroic", but at the heart of it all she said, "Mama Flamingo, you've done about all you can. Just keep nursing when you can but chill out on the pumping, you're not living life."

I'm trying to cut myself some slack, but try telling that to my heart that just has a hard time doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment