Thursday, February 12, 2009

Retirement

So, some of you know that I was planning to quit teaching and just be a Mom once BF got here. I had planned on working right up until I had to deliver which would effectively be spring break at my school...

Well, plans change. I'm officially retired.

Good news is that Baby Flamingo looks healthy, all 4lbs of her and is measuring a week a head... which means that I will be giving birth to a big baby. In the words of my high risk doctor, she looks fabulous.

Bad new, my heart is not taking all of this as well as we hoped. Some of you know that back in October I had to go to the ER because I couldn't breathe and had some chest pains. I'd had symptoms like this in the past and new that it was probably a symptom of Cardiomyopathy from my chemotherapy (yeah, don't look it up, you won't like it). After some fighting with the ER doctor who wanted to give me needless tests and make me sign waivers for X-rays I didn't need I saw a cardiologist in the ER who told me that I was right (and that the stupid ER doc was wrong and I did not need an x-ray). My cardiologist, who I have always felt super comfortable with and respected, felt that right now with my numbers just being on the high side of bad (does that make sense?) that we' d take a wait and see approach to medication. I was of course, thrilled with this news, the longer that BF didn't have to be exposed to medication the happier I was.

A few weeks ago I caught the plague from Mr.Flamingo. I felt like crap and had to take 2 days off of work to recover. I went to my peranatologist, the baby doctor I see because I'm considered high risk with this heart thing, and she saw my amniotic fluid was low... most likely due to my cold. No biggie, drink water come back in two weeks. I went back yesterday and BF looks great as does my fluid level. From there I went to my cardiologist because I'd been having issues catching my breath since the cold.

The cardiologist was not happy with what he saw... so he told me my retirement age had arrived... I'm to stay home and take it easy until further notice. I'm also on a low sodium diet which SUCKS OUT LOUD when all you want is french fries from McDonalds and ruffles potato chips... I'm eating lots of fruits, veggies and lean meats (which means chicken because I always forget what kind of fish I can eat and Mr.Flamingo doesn't eat fish).

It really is the worst possible time for me to go out... my kids have performances next Wednesday and need a lot of help to get it together. And they really need me to do it... but, my health and BF are my concerns now... they'll muddle through without me.

So, I have anywhere between 6 and 10 weeks before BF is due to arrive and I'm at home until then... I guess I'll get lots of reading done, lots of knitting finished and hopefully I won't be doing too much online shopping.

Got any book suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment